Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Money Maker?

So we always figured that since Sage is a ritzy hunting dog we would breed her. I hatched a brilliant plan that we should breed her this spring and sell her puppies to pay for the baby. I selected a stud dog in Ogden and dropped Sage off for some quality time. The contract guaranteed one successful paring. Sage had been there a week and no luck so I figured we miscalculated her cycle and told him I was coming to get her. He called the next day to say they had paired. I figured he just wanted paid so when I went to go get her I chewed him out and made him give me my money back. Well guess how that crow tasted 63 days later? Not good. Because not only did she get bred, but she had eight of the cutest puppies ever. We were slated to leave for Colorado to go dock sheep Friday night but alas, Sage had other plans. Thursday night she was acting really weird. Panting and running around to me and Nate and didn't want to be alone. I said Nate- she's in labor. He said nah. I said- yeah. He said Nah. Then out came a puppy and he said- yeah!!! From 11-1 we had six puppies and I thought she was done but at 4 am out came two more. It was crazy. She kicked them off and loved them and nursed them. It was so cute. Then I had to go to Lowes the next day and get supplies and build a brooding box. I was unprepared because I seriously didn't think she was pregnant. And since we didn't dare leave the puppies alone Nate and his dad made a fly by night trip to Colorado and left me to tend puppies since I wasn't going to be much help docking because of being pregnant. The puppies were so cute and so fun. Nate and I played with them all the time. Which was a bad plan. We got too attached. I bawled every time we sold one. They paid for the baby but I swear I'm never doing that again!

1 comment: