Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Shoes, Plane Tickets...All the Same Right?



Nate is a pretty amazing husband…and he is a long suffering man. He puts up with my little quirks happily and has nursed me tenderly for the last MONTH that I have been deathly ill. Poor feller even had to sleep on the couch for a while to avoid my germs (he claims- personally I think it was really to avoid my stuffed up snore fest, ask him to tell you the snow shoveling story sometime). Anyway, lately he has been indulging my online shopping fetish…or at least that is what I lead him to believe… “But babe, I do too need yet another pair of shoes”. Secretly I was online shopping for plane tickets to take him to Oregon for a fly by night (seriously we didn’t get to Eugene until 1 am) weekend trip for spring break since I had to work/die during his whole spring break. He picked me up in SLC, we had dinner with Judd and his lovely wife while I was stalling waiting for our plane, and headed for the land of squishy green moss. I am a bit of cheapskate. We all know this, so it should come as no surprise that we stayed in some…er…roach motels sans the roaches. When we got to Eugene they told us they were cleaning our room to get it ready…at 1 am? What do they rent them by the hour? The second one had even more problems, but I digress, while waiting we headed to the UofO campus to get some food and try to get beat up wearing all our USU paraphernalia. While leaving campus at 3 am we drove by a man riding his bicycle with paper dreadlocks coming out of his hat. Priceless. In the morning we toured Springfield which I am positive is where the Simpsons are from. We took the missionaries to breakfast for doughnuts, met Paul, Klea and Maddie Zurfluh and the Hopkins, and saw moss and daffodils everywhere. Then we headed for Eugene for some Hawaiian food which Nate talks about all year. Next was Albany where we saw a sweet masonic cemetery and then Corvallis for a baseball game. We spent the night in Albany and again kidnapped the missionaries and took them the hastey freeze for ice cream. If you have never had a flavor burst you are missing out. The next morning we made for the coast. In light of the recent tsunami were a little worried when we were the only car going west and tons of cars were going east but all was well. We frolicked on the beach, had crab for lunch, saw a sweet lighthouse, and then hauled bacon for the airport through wine country. We got lost at a chop shop in Portland (thanks MapQuest) and barely made it to the airport just in time to find out we had a mix up and missed our flight. Awesome. So we spent the night in Portland and caught the red eye flight in the morning to get Nate to school and me to work. All in all, a pretty successful vacation. Wanna come next time? I promise to book a nicer motel. :)

1 comment:

  1. You had me...until you promised nicer hotels. I don't know how to stay in those. :) Sounds like a stellar trip!

    ReplyDelete